Poised, effortless and sophisticated, the CXA81 is a British-made stereo amp from the latest iteration of Cambridge Audio's CX range. Its 80 watts per channel give it complete authority over music, and it wrings every emotional and musical nuance from your whole collection. The all-new CXA81 integrated amplifier is built on the foundations laid (and the Awards won) by the CXA80, but with a fresh and progressive perspective.
• An update to the award-winning CXA80 amplifier
• Big brother to the CXA61
• 80 Watts per channel with Class AB amplification for detailed and powerful audio performance
• Separate, symmetrical left and right channels are carefully engineered to deliver incredible sound-staging
• Balanced XLR inputs for low noise interference
• High-quality DAC built-in allows you to connect digital sources directly via TOSLINK and Coaxial
• Bluetooth aptX HD built-in for a high-quality wireless connection
• Multiple RCA Analogue connections for all your sources
• Speaker A/B terminals for driving two pairs of speakers simultaneously
• Pre Out for connecting to a power amplifier
• Sub output allows you to connect a subwoofer for deep 2.1 audio
• USB Audio Input accepting up to 32bit/384kHz & DSD 256 digital files from Mac or PC
• Oversized toroidal transformer provides electrical efficiency and super-low levels of distortion
• High-quality 3.5mm headphone socket for private listening
• Control Bus connections plus RS232C, IR input, and Trigger in/out
• Included IR remote control is also compatible with other CX Series devices
• Optional Auto Power Down mode switches the CXA81 to standby after inactivity
Making the best better
How do you take an admired and successful integrated amplifier, one that’s won respect and plaudits around the world, and make it even better? Well, if you’re a Cambridge Audio engineer, you examine every aspect of the performance - and then you do everything you can to make it ‘more’. More refined, more precise, more engrossing… more musical. The CXA81: it’s everything you loved about the CXA80, but more so.
Uncompromised and uncompromising
Thanks to Cambridge Audio's relentless dedication to progressive engineering, The CXA81 is a complete solution. Its combination of versatility, power and audio excellence means it can form the centre of your musical experience. All the research, all the development, all the time and effort that’s been expended on the CXA81 has been for one reason alone: to make this the most accomplished and absorbing integrated amplifier ever offered at the price. Every component selected, and every engineering decision taken, is based entirely on the desire to progress. The CXA81 has been designed and specified without compromise, in order to deliver the complete musical picture.
The whole story
The CXA81 is designed to bring your music to life, no matter how it’s stored. So it features an entirely new digital board, including the cutting-edge ESS Sabre ES9016 digital-to-analogue convertor. This means digital audio files up to a heady 32bit/384kHz, or DSD256, are brought dramatically to life, with every detail and nuance delivered intact and in full. The CXA81 combines unparalleled accuracy with vivid musicality, without sacrificing convenience.
The CXA81 covers all connectivity bases, giving you complete freedom of choice. As well as digital optical and digital coaxial inputs, it features unbalanced stereo RCA inputs alongside balanced XLR sockets - and wireless connectivity via Bluetooth’s cutting-edge aptX HD standard is on board too. So there’s no need to compromise on performance in the name of convenience.
80W RMS into 8 Ohms, 120W RMS into 4 Ohms
4Ω ~ 8Ω
ESS Sabre ES9016K2M
<5Hz– 60kHz +/-1dB
ANALOGUE AUDIO INPUTS
1x balanced XLR, 4 x RCA
DIGITAL AUDIO INPUTS
1 x S/PDIF coaxial, 2 x TOSLINK optical, 1 x USB audio, Bluetooth (integrated)
TOSLINK optical: 16/24bit 32-96kHz PCM only, S/PDIF coaxial: 16/24bit 32-192kHz PCM only, USB: audio profile 1.0/2.0 (default 2.0), up to 32bit 384kHz PCM, up to DSD256 or DoP256, Bluetooth: 4.2 A2DP/AVRCP supporting up to aptX HD (24bit 48kHz)
BLUETOOTH APTX HD RECEIVER BUILT-IN
Speakers A+B, 3.5mm headphone, Preamp Output, Subwoofer Output
MAX POWER CONSUMPTION
STANDBY POWER CONSUMPTION
DIMENSIONS (H X W X D)
115 x 430 x 341mm (4.5 x 16.9 x 13.4”)
CXA81 Integrated Amplifier, Power Cable, 3 x AAA Batteries, Remote Control, Control Bus Cable, Bluetooth antenna, Quick Start Guide, Safety Guide