DB Series Subwoofers
Designed to be the best in class. The DB Series subwoofers aim to be the best-sounding products in their class. Each model combines Aerofoil drive units, powerful amplification, a balanced configuration and a digital preamplifier with Dynamic EQ to deliver exceptional precision and authority with both movies and music.
Aerofoil cones for greater precision. All three DB Series subwoofers use Aerofoil cones identical to those found in the latest 800 Series Diamond loudspeakers.These light, ultra-stiff drive units resist bending and flexing far longer than conventional cones, delivering controlled bass with outstanding precision.
Massive power for every application. The DB1D is the most powerful active subwoofer Bowers &Wilkins has ever made, its 2000W Hypex amplifier giving it astonishing reserves of drive and authority. With their 1000Wamplifiers, the DB2D and DB3D mirror the DB1D’s capability in more compact forms.
Balanced design gives cleaner sound. As with the PV1 and the original DB1 the new DB Series uses two bass cones arranged in an opposed configuration. This balanced arrangement greatly reduces cabinet vibration and ensures a cleaner, more precise sound, so you’ll get great bass free of the coloration that can plague powerful subwoofers.
Unrivalled ease of use. The all-new digital preamplifier and App-based set-up means the DB Series subwoofers are simple to configure and use.No separate microphone kit is required and the App is available for both iOS and Android devices. Dynamic EQ and Room EQ ensure optimal performance in every circumstance.
Suitable for CM S2 as well as 800 Series Diamond. Although they match the new 800 Series Diamond models,all three DB Series subwoofers can also be used with CM Series loudspeakers. DB2D and DB3D are especially relevant for use with CM10 S2 ($4000/pair). The three finishes on the subwoofers will match to CM Series loudspeakers too.
- All three DB Series subwoofers use a new digital preamplifier that features Dynamic EQ with a custom-written algorithm. It is this digital preamplifier that gives the new Series its name: DB now stands for Digital Bass, with the D suffix at the end of the model name referring to Dual drive units.
- The Dynamic EQ creates the ideal response in phase and magnitude of a system behaving flat to 10Hz.
- The system dynamically adjusts itself to make the best use of its available headroom to deliver optimal results.
- This is coupled to user-definable DSP presets that
- All three DB Series subwoofers use all-new Class D amplification from Hypex.
- All models use the 2 x 500W module.
- This gives a total of 1000W in the DB3D and DB2D.
- DB1D uses two sets of the Hypex module, with the amps in bridged mode. This gives 1000W per module or 2000W total.
Balanced drive unit force clamp
- All three subwoofers adopt a new central clamping mechanism that grips and rigidly secures each motor system in place.
- The balanced drive unit mechanism works because the forces that the drive units are generating are equal and in opposite directions. The stiff aluminium structure creates a more ideal mechanical coupling between the two motors and as a result, the balanced drive unit mechanism is even more effective.
- The aluminium mechanism is rigidly mounted into the cabinet of the subwoofer, which further stiffens the cabinet, rather like the Matrix assembly inside an 800 Series Diamond loudspeaker. The result is a cleaner, tighter sound.
DB Series subwoofers use the Aerofoil cone
- The 10in and 12in Aerofoil cones found in DB2D and DB1D use a new sandwich-type dust cap similar in concept to the construction of the main drive unit itself.
- This increases the frequency of the first break-up.
- This is coupled to a new voice coil, new spider and new surround.
- DB Series subwoofers introduce new anti-vibration mounts that decouple the mechanical vibration of the subwoofer from the room. These mounts fit into the existing screw-infoot fixings and as an alternative, conventional speaker spikes are also supplied.
- The existing feet decouple over a certain frequency, but this has been found to be in the middle of the operating band of the subwoofer.
- The new anti-vibration mounts reduce the decoupling frequency to below the output of the subwoofer (down to 5Hz).The result is a cleaner sound with reduced distortion. As a secondary benefit it reduces transmission of structural-born vibration into neighbouring rooms.
- Stunning performance from a compact subwoofer
- 1000w Class D Hypex amplifier
- 2 x 200mm (8in) Aerofoil-cone drive units in a balanced configuration
- Digital preamplifier with Dynamic EQ, App-based set-up and BT-LE control
- 2 x XLR, 2 x RCA, 2 x 3.5mm 12V trigger, RS232 (15pin Din)
- 370mm x 315mm x 300mm / 14.5” x 12.4” x 11.8” (hwd, inc feet)
- Finishes: Gloss Black / Rosenut / White
- The DB Series subwoofers feature an all-new set-up and control App linked to an automatic EQ feature. This is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- The old OLED display screen, control interface and rotating amplifier plinth are dispensed with, as is the microphone calibration kit. Instead, the set-up App uses your phone’s microphone to capture measurements for the subwoofer’s EQ.
- Connection is made via BT-LE. The App includes Guides on positioning, set-up and troubleshooting and can be used to provide control over both subwoofer output and audio preset modes. We recommend using the EQ even if your AVR also includes an automatic calibration system such as Audyssey.
- For stereo use, preset filters are provided for partnering the subwoofer with matching Bowers & Wilkins loudspeakers. These and other settings such as level and phase can be user-definable too.
3 Colour Finishes:
Black as per new 800 Series Diamond with dark metal detailing, no visible trim-ring fixings and fixing-less full-front grilles using magnetic attachment as per DB1.
Satin White as per new 800 Series Diamond, with matched light tint aluminium detailing on the trim ring and amplifier module plus grey grille cloth.
Rosenut as per new 800 Series Diamond, with dark metal detailing on the trim ring and amplifier module as per Gloss Black and black grille cloth.